Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:44:48 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_sppp is BROKEN!!!

Archie Cobbs writes:
>Johan Granlund writes:
>> What i was thinking about was something more like lowbandwidth / high
>> processing protocols. If the endpoint is a serial port, network interface
>> or the network protocol stack (for tunneling) should't be a issue if
>> it's used right.
>
>Here's some examples of what we use the netgraph stuff for on the
>InterJet.

[snip]
> - ISDN node
>
>    Is a device driver and a netgraph node. Performs the D channel
>    signalling and has a hook for each B channel. Accepts synchronous
>    commands for things like dialing, etc.

[snip]

does this handle the full I.430, Q.93x stuff too ? In other words,
passive ISDN cards ?

>Of course the other major benefit is modularity. Instead of having
>if_ppp.c, if_sppp.c, if_foo1.c, if_foo2.c, where you are reimplementing
>the interface behavior code over and over again, you just keep this
>code in a single place: ng_iface.c, the interface node. Then anybody
>who needs to export an interface can do so by connecting it to an
>interface node (example: cisco hdlc node).
>
>These little guys make great LKM/KLD modules too..
>
>Anyway, one reason I'm hyping this a little bit is because we
>(Julian and me) want to clean up, and update, and unencumber the
>netgraph code that was released a year or so ago, and check it in
>so people can start playing with it more. It will take a little time
>though, not to mention approval from the kernel gargoyles...

wow ! This sounds like it would be great for the CAPI stuff I'm trying
to implement for isdn4bsd right now. If the card needs CAPI, just hang
a CAPI node in the graph.

Unfortunately, the effort involved in converting isdn4bsd to use the
netgraph mechanism boggles the mind :-(

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de