Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 98 20:13:00 -0000
From:      mikebw@bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net (Mike Bilow)
To:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Async negotiation (Was: 2.0.36/5.1.4 and BIOS settings)

Doug Ledford wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 DL> However, in regards to the DAT drive in question.  If that FAQ
 DL> says to always use async mode regardless of the make or model
 DL> of drive then they need to bite me.

I may have been responsible for that item.  Certain drives, such as the
Seagate/Conner/Archive/Maynard Viper 2150S, are known to have problems with
sync, and similar problems carried over to their 4xxx series DAT drives, such
as the 4520 and 4330.  However -- and this is important -- the problem was
corrected in later revisions of the DAT firmware, so it is only very rare DAT
drives which cannot do sync.

I'm not sure exactly when the change was implemented (1992?), but any Python
(4x2x, 4x3x, 4x4x, or 4x5x) whose major firmware version is "2" or later and
any Diamondback (458x or 459x) whose major firmware version is "4" or later in
response to an INQUIRY command should be fine.

-- Mike

P.S. Doug: Any idea yet on my DEC Prioris problem with the AHA-2742T?