Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:34:31 -0300
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@obsigna.com>
To:        Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Serial console of 12.0-ALPHA3 fiddles with the terminal colors

> Am 27.08.2018 um 20:22 schrieb Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Dr. Rolf Jansen <rj@obsigna.com> =
wrote:
>>=20
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> I updated my BeagleBone Black to 12.0-ALPHA3, and now, when booting, =
the serial console behaves differently (I use cu from a Mac Terminal via =
a FDTI/USB adapter).
>>=20
>> When it comes to "Loading kernel...", the terminal color is inverted, =
instead of maintaining the usual black on white, all over the sudden =
everything is displayed in white on black. And more seriously, the =
logging before loading the kernel, is deleted, which means I cannot see =
the diagnostics of the u-boot loader.
>>=20
>> Is there any setting, to prevent the serial console manipulates color =
and content of a terminal session?
>>=20
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> You want loader_color in your loader.conf(5), which should (hopefully)
> disable all color while still being usable. We force the color scheme
> to white on black if colors are displayed because we can't necessarily
> sample or Q/A our color choice on all possible configurations.
>=20
> I'll double check on the screen clearing... I don't recall adding any
> extra clears except for password prompts and (re-)drawing the menu.
>=20
> Thanks,
>=20
> Kyle Evans

Thank you for the quick reply.

I added loader_color=3D"NO" and this didn't change anything. The u-boot =
loader diagnostics is shown in black on white, then the FreeBSD boot =
loader takes over, and the first thing, which it does is deleting the =
u-boot loader diagnostics and then it switches the background to black =
and the following is all white on black.

What again is the purpose of setting the color scheme in the serial =
console? I understand that something shall be set on the real screen, =
now in a terminal window? Think about the poor people who like it green =
on pink, and you change it to white on black, come on :-)

Bets regards

Rolf=