Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 2020 05:06:45 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Synth update-system again fails with recursive crash [Was: Re: ]

sorribouthat! on the lack of a Subject: line in my previous post! My bad.

On 6/1/20, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, my good friends -
>
> I hope all are well!
>
> I did a synth update from my root user on my 12-STABLE system, with
> the following results:

I pulled down the source of the World again and my i3 mule labored
mightily much of the day yesterday and all night until almost 3 am
building World and Kernel. :) Installed both using Handbook
procedures.

Once again,

> 'portsnap fetch update' succeeded
>
> 'synth upgrade-system' failed. I ran it again, capturing the output:

This process failed again with the same results as attached to my

Thinking I might resolve the issue myself by using 'pkg install xyz', I ran

pkg install doxygen >& doxygen_fail.txt (note: this is tcsh, not BASH!)

... and received the following results.

<quote>
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
Updating Synth repository catalogue...
pkg: file:///var/synth/live_packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
repository Synth has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///var/synth/live_packages/packagesite.txz: No such file or directory
Unable to update repository Synth
Error updating repositories!
</quote>

I am willing to live without an updated ports tree, but how can I
resolve the issue with the Synth repo so I can use 'pkg install'? I
only need to install a few dozen ports from source for my work, but
not having pkg working is definitely a source of dismay.

TIA, good Beasties! :D
--
Don Wilde
* What is the Internet of Things but a system *