Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2017 17:09:28 -0400
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>, Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, ale@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New pkg audit FNs

Hi,

On 10/09/2017 16:34, Jan Beich wrote:
> Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>
>> On 09/10/2017 16:57, Roger Marquis wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone say what mechanisms the ports-security team might have in
>>> place to monitor CVEs and port software versions?

I've been hacking at a prototype for scanning what I can find:

https://github.com/swills/nvd_to_new_vuxml

It's more of a proof of concept than anything. The entry for this issue
is still incomplete though, and the web page for it lists it as "waiting
for analysis":

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-12617

>>> The reason I ask is CVE-2017-12617 was announced almost a week ago yet
>>> there's no mention of it in the vulnerability database  The tomcat8

It looks like it's there to me:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/security/vuxml/vuln.xml?r1=451185&r2=451415

https://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/c0dae634-4820-4505-850d-b1c975d0f67d.html

And added days ago.

>>> port's Makefile also still points to the older, vulnerable version.

True, the maintainer needs to update it. I've copied him on this message.

>>> Tomcat is one of those popular, internet-facing applications that sites
>>> need to check and/or update quickly when CVEs are released and most
>>> admins probably don't expect "pkg audit" to throw false negatives.
>>
>> Ports-secteam (and secteam, for that matter) will update VuXML when they
>> know about vulnerabilities that affect FreeBSD ports, however the usual
>> mechanism is that the port maintainer either updates VuXML themselves
>> directly or tells the appropriate people that there are vulnerabilities
>> that need to be recorded.

Correct, but it doesn't have to be the port maintainer, anyone can
submit a bug report with a patch to ports/security/vuxml/vuln.xml

> What happened to querying CVE database using CPE strings? ENOTIME is a
> common disease in volunteer projects, ports-secteam@ is no exception.
> Finding missing entries is trivial if one looks at Debian tracker.
> Let's pick something popular e.g., tiff-4.0.8 has 6 CVEs none of which
> are fixed in the port.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Ports/CPE

Indeed, I've wanted to try matching up ports/packages to the CVE entries
by using CPE data. I will try to look at that again, but as always
patches welcome.

I'll try to add the missing tiff entries and any others anyone cares to
point out.

Steve