Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 02:41:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        dan@trinsec.com, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, ognir@humboldt1.com, louie@TransSys.COM, steve_tarkalson@hotmail.com, bmcgover@cisco.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gethostbyaddr() and threads.

> Dan Moschuk wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any issues with merging the new bind resolver API into
> > libc?
>
> Well, Terry does, though I don't quite recall his reasoning. :-)
> Notice, he objects the way FreeBSD is today, with the bind resolver
> API inside libc.

I object because it perpetuates a situation which has made it
take this long to get the issue addressed.

I also object because BIND 9 is currently in the works, and there
is talk of replacing the AAAA records with A6 records in the DNSEXT
working group.

The resolver should be in a seperate library to facilitate speedy
integration of future releases, and because its designers put it
in a seperate library.

The correct way to get historical BSD behaviour, i.e. linking libc
gives you the resolver, is to take advantage of ELF, and link the
libc against the libresolver, and thus incorporate it by reference
(if this doesn't work in FreeBSD, it should; I haven't checked).

Of course, my ideal world would update all of the Makefiles for
all of the network utilities (including the ports) to know about
libresolver explicitly, but that's unlikely to come to pass.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.