Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:14:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gunther Hipper <gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
To:        smp@csn.net, smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de
Subject:   Problem with DEC 21050 PCI/PCI bridge

Hi again !

Steve, or someone else with a GA-586DX, please answer:
What BIOS-Version are you using on your GA-586DX ?

Here is my mptable-output, and it is missing the 21050 PCI-to-PCI-bridge
of my network adapter (a four port DEC 21140) ... maybe it is my BIOS ?

>  It does, and it does support the 3940 IF the motherboard knows how to handle
>  bridged PCI cards (the 3940 has a PCI bridge chip on it).  This motherboard
>  is know to properly support the 3940 if correctly setup.  Check your
>  BIOS for a setting that describes the MP spec level.  It will give you
>  a choice between version 1.1 and 1.4.  Set it to 1.4.  Running at
>  version 1.1 will cause the 3940s to fail miserably.  Again a search of the
>  SMP mail archive for 3940 should provide you with alot of info
>  on what we did to ensure that they work (and work with shared INTs).

At this moment, I'm trying to get my patched driver up and running. It runs
just fine when I disable APIC_IO/SMP_INVTBL (although I should'nt disable,
I know, and shared IRQs are not the maximum idea).  ;-)

I also know that there's a problem concerning bridges. Now here is my
mptable output and a dmesg of the (running) kernel with APIC_IO/SMP_INVTBL
enabled. Result is an /kernel: tansmission timeout (as an interrupt problem).
If I disable APIC_IO/SMP_INVTBL, the driver works fine and stable.
Could someone give me help or any suggestions for a workaround ?

Should I keep on with disabled APIC_IO/SMP_INVTBL or should I (try to)
patch the secondary PCI bus into the kernel ?
I also tried to set "options NBUS=3" (someone wrote this some time ago).
Steve suggested a patch (in a "Re: troubles with smp kernel"). How could I
patch the mp_machdep.c for my secondary bus ?

Bye

Gunther

MPTable, version 2.0.6

MP Floating Pointer Structure:

  location:                     BIOS
  physical address:             0x000f0c80
  signature:                    '_MP_'
  length:                       16 bytes
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0xf4
  mode:                         Virtual Wire

MP Config Table Header:

  physical address:             0x000f0c94
  signature:                    'PCMP'
  base table length:            292
  version:                      1.1
  checksum:                     0x31
  OEM ID:                       'OEM00000'
  Product ID:                   'PROD00000000'
  OEM table pointer:            0x00000000
  OEM table size:               0
  entry count:                  28
  local APIC address:           0xfee00000
  extended table length:        0
  extended table checksum:      0

MP Config Base Table Entries:

--                 1       PCI
--
I/O APICs:      APIC ID Version State           Address
                 2       0x11    usable          0xfec00000
--
I/O Ints:       Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID INT#
                ExtINT   conforms    conforms        0     0          2    0
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     1          2    1
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     0          2    2
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     3          2    3
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     4          2    4
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     5          2    5
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     6          2    6
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     7          2    7
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     8          2    8
                INT      conforms    conforms        0     9          2    9
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    10          2   10
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    11          2   11
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    12          2   12
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    13          2   13
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    14          2   14
                INT      conforms    conforms        0    15          2   15
                INT     active-lo       level        1   8:A          2   16

Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 0       0x11    BSP, usable     5       2       1       0x07bf
                 1       0x11    AP, usable      5       2       1       0x07bf
--
Bus:            Bus ID  Type
                 0       ISA
[...]
                INT     active-lo       level        1   9:A          2   17
                INT     active-lo       level        1  10:A          2   18
                INT     active-lo       level        1  12:A          2   19
                SMI      conforms    conforms        0     0          2   23
--
Local Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID INT#
                ExtINT  active-hi        edge        0     0        255    0

# SMP kernel config file options:

options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
options         NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
options         NBUS=2                  # number of busses
options         NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
options         NINTR=24                # number of INTs
options         SMP_INVLTLB             #
#options                SMP_PRIVPAGES           # BROKEN, DO NOT use!
#options                SMP_AUTOSTART           # BROKEN, DO NOT use!
#options                SERIAL_DEBUG            # com port debug output

Copyright (c) 1992-1996 FreeBSD Inc.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
        The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

FreeBSD 3.0-SMP #0: Sat Apr 19 14:09:18 GMT 1997
    root@fcna1.informatik.uni-rostock.de:/usr/src/sys-SMP.geht/compile/SMPFCNA.7
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor motherboard
 cpu0 (BSP): apic id: 0, version: 0x00030010
 cpu1 (AP):  apic id: 1, version: 0x00030010
 io0 (APIC): apic id: 2, version: 0x00170011
Calibrating clock(s) relative to mc146818A clock ... i8254 clock: 1193472 Hz
CPU: Pentium (586-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x52c  Stepping=12
  Features=0x3bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,APIC>
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 30322688 (29612K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82439> rev 1 on pci0:0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:7:1
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 227 int a irq 16 on pci0:8:0
Freeing (NOT implimented) irq 11 for ISA cards.
chip3 <DEC 21050 PCI-PCI bridge> rev 2 on pci0:10:0
ahc0 <Adaptec aic7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0 int a irq 19 on pci0:12:0
Freeing (NOT implimented) irq 11 for ISA cards.
ahc0: aic7880 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
ahc0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
scbus0 at ahc0 bus 0
ahc0: Someone reset channel A
Probing for devices on PCI bus 1:
de0 <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 32 int a irq 11 on pci1:4:0
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr !!
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr TULIP_21140 == 0x3, TULIP_21140A == 0x4, sc->tulip_chipid == 0x4
**** sc->tulip_chipid is fine !!
**** This is an Adaptec EM400 Master ****
**** EM400 Master returning 0
de0: enabling 100baseTX port
de0: Cogent EM400 MS 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0
de0: address 00:00:92:95:16:b8
de1 <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 32 int a irq 11 on pci1:5:0
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr !!
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr TULIP_21140 == 0x3, TULIP_21140A == 0x4, sc->tulip_chipid == 0x4
**** sc->tulip_chipid is fine !!
**** bcmp(sc->tulip_rombuf+20, testpat_em400ms, 4) failed !!
**** This is an EM400 Slave **** root_unit 0 set hwaddr..set boardsw..
de1: enabling 100baseTX port
de1: Cogent EM400 SL 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0
de1: address 00:00:92:95:16:b9
de2 <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 32 int a irq 11 on pci1:6:0
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr !!
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr TULIP_21140 == 0x3, TULIP_21140A == 0x4, sc->tulip_chipid == 0x4
**** sc->tulip_chipid is fine !!
**** bcmp(sc->tulip_rombuf+20, testpat_em400ms, 4) failed !!
**** This is an EM400 Slave **** root_unit 1 0 set hwaddr..set boardsw..
de2: enabling 100baseTX port
de2: Cogent EM400 SL 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0
de2: address 00:00:92:95:16:ba
de3 <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 32 int a irq 11 on pci1:7:0
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr !!
**** Hi from tulip_read_macaddr TULIP_21140 == 0x3, TULIP_21140A == 0x4, sc->tulip_chipid == 0x4
**** sc->tulip_chipid is fine !!
**** bcmp(sc->tulip_rombuf+20, testpat_em400ms, 4) failed !!
**** This is an EM400 Slave **** root_unit 2 1 0 set hwaddr..set boardsw..
de3: enabling 100baseTX port
de3: Cogent EM400 SL 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0
de3: address 00:00:92:95:16:bb
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
ed0 at 0x300-0x31f irq 5 on isa
ed0: address 00:40:05:32:cb:aa, type NE2000 (16 bit)
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: NEC 72065B
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <ST32140A>
wd0: 2015MB (4127760 sectors), 4095 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
Enabled INTs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 14, 19, imen: 0x00f7b601
NFS ROOT: 139.30.4.30:/usr/cl/lo/1
SMP: All idle procs online.
SMP: Starting 1st AP!
SMP: AP CPU #1 LAUNCHED!!  Starting Scheduling...
SMP: TADA! CPU #1 made it into the scheduler!.
SMP: All 2 CPU's are online!
fcna1:{root} /root [50]