Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 18:40:20 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brad Midgley <junkmail@pht.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5-950622-SNAP on a big machine

In message <Pine.LNX.3.91.950728084259.6570A-100000@exodus.pht.com>, Brad Midgl
ey writes:
>bt0: Bt946C/ 0-PCI/EISA/VLB(32bit) bus
>bt0: reading board settings, busmastering, int=10
>bt0: version 4.23, sync, parity, 32 mbxs, 32 ccbs

Hmm. Rod seems to be the expert on these cards. Rod?

>how is 2940w support these days? :)

Pretty good from what I hear. Justin (Gibbs) still has more work to do
on it AFAIK before he'll be happy (if ever :-) )

>I should have reread my original post better.  The mount (mount
>linuxbox:/blah /mnt) works fine, but then accessing the mount point (/mnt)
>produces the stale error.  On another box running the fancy fancy caldera
>linux system the mount works and then doesn't give the stale error, it
>just claims "permission denied"

Strange. I'd suspect a misconfiguration somewhere, but I'm no linux
expert.

>bnc and 10base-t combo (using the 10baset port).  the irq it detected was
>right in any case.

>To reiterate: the system was installed on a scsi drive on a puny machine
>to the side (which had a 3com) and then moved over.  If the
>network_interfaces wasn't the only thing to change, that could be the
>problem.

You also have to change one of the ifconfig_ lines below AFAIR, and
I'd double check the default router, etc, which is slightly further
down.

>Jul 26 17:12:08 gandalf /kernel: ed0 at 0x280-0x29f irq 5 maddr 0xd8000
>msize 8192 on isa
>Jul 26 17:12:08 gandalf /kernel:  ed0: address 00:00:c0:3f:66:96, type
>SMC8416C/SMC8416BT (16 bit)

Looks ok.

>yes, I did reboot and the kernel saw the card, ifconfiged it, etc., but
>net traffic just wouldn't go through it.  unplugging the smc from the net
>even produced a:

>Jul 26 16:23:38 gandalf /kernel: ed0: device timeout

>in the log.

Check that the output of ifconfig -a and netstat -r look
reasonable. I've got a suspicious feeling that you haven't config'ed
ed0 properly...

>thanks for everyone's help.  btw, samba under freebsd is very cool.  If
>only we'd had this long ago enough we wouldn't need an evil netware
>server. now if only we had netatalk under freebsd :)

Yeah - samba's nice :-)

I did do a bit of work on porting CAP once, but I had to stop as I
didn't have any Mac's talking Ethertalk on my net segment (or any Macs
that I could talk to full stop).

When I saw netatalk was kernel level, I didn't go any further as I had
trouble seeing how I could fit it into the ``ports'' system without a
lot of trouble, and I didn't want to import it into the CVS tree to be
part of the kernel...

Gary