Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 1995 16:19:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD hackerlist <FreeBSD-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Dynamic? PPP Server?

Hi Folks;

	Friday afternoon at 455 pm ( what a perfect time for
system administration ) one of my co workers remembered that the freebsd
box that i had set up as a demo for them had the capability to do ppp and
slip.

	He asked me to look into it. So I perused the PPP and slip doc and came
up short in the answer dept. He asked if we could use it to allocate ip's
from a collection of 8 or so that are loose on our subnet. I assume this
what is called dynamic PPP? Is the allocation from an existing net even
possible? One of the products they demo'd ( a terminal server of some
kind ) had to have it's own subnet. Is this intrinsic to this kind of
thing or was that just a problem with their product?

	The PPP.doc in /usr/share/FAQ only seemed to discuss how to do
this as a one fixed address to another fixed address.

	Also, is this the circumstances in which the machine needs to be
configured as a router or gateway?

	If doing the dynamic PPP server thing is being done by folks out
there in FreeBSD land, I would like to hear from them and how they went
about it.

	Btw it does not need to be PPP, I had heard that PPP was simpler
and faster, so that is the only reason why i am asking about PPP as
opposed to slip.

	I am the only individual who will be visiting it with a FreeBSD
box there will be one linux and to trumpet winsock boxes as well. Does
this add any complication?

	thanks again folks!

 John Utz	spaz@stein.u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life