Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:10:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Timothy J Luoma <luomat@peak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lowest end FBSD router machine possible

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Timothy J Luoma wrote:
> I am looking to put together a low low end FreeBSD machine to ask
> as a ``router'' (is that the right term?) to do what I think it
> called `IP-Masquerading'
[...]
> I need to know how low-end I can go.  486dx/66?  What kind of
> additional hardware?

A 486 with 16 meg of ram should be fine to start out with.

> Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.  I've never done
> this before but have some UNIX experience (NeXTStep).

Get familiar with FreeBSD first and then install natd (network address
translation daemon) available at

    ftp://ftp.suutari.iki.fi/pub/natd

It will be a little tricky for you to start out with, but if you are
persistent, things will work.  There are also alternatives to natd (Linux
and a FreeBSD kernel modification).

At the moment, you will need two ethernet cards with natd, one to connect
to your cable modem and one to connect to your local network with your
other home computer(s).

Depending on the specific cable system you have, there can be some special
things to do.  Some systems get their addresses through DHCP.  Some other
systems have a fancier address registration mechanism.  For an example,
see a writeup on the San Diego Road Runner system:

    http://people.qualcomm.com/karn/rr/rr.html

Two more things about cable modems.  First, the systems are sometimes
behind unusual firewalls (some ports blocked, others redirected).  Second,
U.S. cable companies are managed by really stupid people, so they may not
be able to scale their internet systems as the user base grows.

Charles Mott