Date:      Sat, 6 Sep 1997 19:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        hackers

in light of the recent discussion of spam and the changes in sendmail
configuration on the FreeBSD mailing list host (hub.freebsd.org),
here are my thoughts on the matter and how we have implemented the
changes.

the primary goal is to preserve the FreeBSD mailing lists as a
useful source of information and discussion for the subscribers.
the mail archives, digests and mailing list search web page are
all "extra" features to increase the usefulness of the mailing
lists.  each major topic, and some minor ones, have a dedicated
list; the purpose is to provide information of interest to the
subscribers without a large amount of extraneous material, including
but not limited to spam.

in order to fulfill this goal, the mail must be delivered to the
subscibers.  majordomo, bulk_mailer and the mail relay sites are
configured to speed the mail its destination.

getting the information out to as large an audience as possible
is a secondary goal and the reason for the mail-to-news gateways.
news reaches a much larger number of people than our mailing lists.
this provides FreeBSD a presence on the 'net that the mailing lists
alone can not provide.  however, newsgroups have an unfortunate
level of junk (flamefests, spam, and more).  therefore, the mail-
to-news gateways are one-way doors.  a person reading a FreeBSD
newsgroup can subscribe to the list(s) and participate, but they
must subscribe to do so.

so what does this have to do with spam?

when preventing spam from reaching subscribers interferes with the
purpose of the mailing lists, delivering the mail with some quantity
of spam is more important than stopping every spam.  for example,
we recently received spam from two sources: intergate.net and
compuserve.com.  intergate.net is an isp in georgia, usa and
compuserve is.....well you know what compuserve is.  if i was to
block mail from intergate.net and compuserve.com, i would have
prevented these spam emails from reaching the subscribers.  in
doing so, i would have blocked mail from 45 subscribers to the
mailing lists.  (jenny@intergate.net, a spammer today, may be a
legitimate user next month when the email address is given to
someone else.)

therefore, we are not blocking mail from sites that can not be
resolved in the DNS.  not that i dont want to, there are just too
many newbies out there that send mail to the lists.

we are not "hiding" email addresses in messages that go to the
mail-to-news gateways.  we want people to be able to send mail to
each other.  sendmail and procmail provide methods of preventing
spam from reaching you.

the anti-spam rules that i have installed on hub.freebsd.org are
based upon those available from http://tech.gulf.net/spam/.  i
expect that they will become more elaborate over time ;(.  those
of you with a perverse interest in sendmail files and accounts on
hub can look in /usr/src/.usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf/hub.mc.  those
with perverse interest but without accounts on hub, please me email
and i will send the config file(s) to you.  (if there is sufficient
interest, i'll post them on the list).

jmb

--
Jonathan M. Bresler      FreeBSD Core Team, Postmaster       jmb@FreeBSD.ORG