Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 1995 13:46:07 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        newton@communica.com.au (Mark Newton)
Cc:        phk@critter.tfs.com, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fiskars UPS support...

Mark Newton stands accused of saying:
> I mentioned this to miff in private email, but I may as well float
> it here with the rest of the group:  How about another keyword to be
> inserted in the ty_status field in /etc/ttys, such as:
>
> tty08	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt100	on	secure
> tty09	"/usr/sbin/upsmon"		none	ups
>
> The "ups" keyword would mean, "respawn this process upon entry to multiuser
> mode;  continue to respawn it until the CPU halts, regardless of changes
> between multiuser and singleuser state."

I'd be inclined to call the keyword "always", but it certainly makes a degree
of sense.

> ... then all the UPS-specific interface code would be handled by the
> UPS-specific "/usr/sbin/upsmon" process.

... with, fe. /usr/sbin/upscontrol to send commands to a given UPS type
& extract status &c. &c.

> Even really stupid UPSs would work well with this feature :-)

It appeals - I'm not 100% sure that the FreeBSD Board of Directors ( 8) )
will approve of the idea though 8(

> Mark Newton                               Email: newton@communica.com.au

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[