Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 2002 18:29:21 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ! Fatal trap 12: System Crash twice in last 2 days

From: "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>

> > ---
> > Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
> > ---
> > Unfortunately this means nothing to me :(
>
> It doesn't mean much to me by itself.
>
> None of this is much help.  You need to build a debug kernel and get a
> dump and a stack trace, then we can see what's going on.
>
> Greg

Greg,

After learning how to do this stuff, I'm back :)

I am now at 10 crashes since Sunday, and counting.

Anyway, I don't know much about gdb, but here is what I was able to get
from my most recently dumped kernel:

http://docs.perimeter.co.za/crash/20020823_1623_d

As the name indicates, this was at 16:23 this afternoon.  Others on the
hacker list have suggested you would be THE person to speak to WRT what
appears to be a fault occurring in the vinum module somewhere.

There was a suggestion that the fault might lie in the fact that one of
my IDE controllers is "falling back to PIO" because I don't have the
ATA100 compliant cable on device ata1.  I'm hoping to get to the server
on Monday to replace that.

There is more info at http://docs.perimeter.co.za/crash/

Looking forward to your response,

Regards,