Date:      Wed, 07 Nov 2012 04:45:11 -0500
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: wine/i386 for FreeBSD/amd64 port (aka wine-fbsd64)

from David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>:

> Hi List,

> # Executive Summary

> Over the past years I have been maintaining the wine-fbsd64 port (see
> http://mediafire.com/wine_fbsd64 for more).  The port itself effectively does
> static linking (it bundles all the libraries wine needs) with scripts to
> bootstrap the environment to easily use wine from FreeBSD/amd64.  There is
> also a script to install the i386 nVidia graphic drivers so that wine has
> access to nVidia accelerated graphics from FreeBSD/amd64.

> I would like to propose this port gets included in the port's collection and
> would like to get feedback, your comments please :-).

> P.S. I'm not subscribed to the list, so please ensure I'm cc'ed in the
> discussion.

> # Details of the Port

> Please see attached for the actual port.

> ## Port Preamble

> This port is a slave port to emulators/wine(-devel).  The master port needed
> to be modified (already done):
>  - to conditionally set USE_LDCONFIG (if USE_LDCONFIG32 was not set)
>  - to allow the library directory to be changed (see WINELIBDIR)
>  - to allow configure arguments to be appended

> ## Port Targets

> The port itself does the following in the preamble:
>  - specifies the pkg(de)install script to handle nVidia driver patching
>  - overrides ACTUAL-PACKAGE-DEPENDS (all depends are bundled with the port)
>  - defined the library directory to ${PREFIX}/lib32
>  - defined the binary directory to ${PREFIX}/bin32
>  - patches the PLIST to refer to lib32 (not lib)
>  - defined USE_LDCONFIG32 appropriately

> The post-install-script target:
>  - Installs the files/binbounce file in ${PREFIX}/bin for each ${PREFIX}/bin32
> file (hard linked)
>  - Finds all linked library, copies them to ${PREFIX}/lib32, and added them to
> the plist
>  - Finds all dlopen'ed libraries, copies them to ${PREFIX}/lib32, and added
> them to the plist
>  - Installs the nVidia patch file
>  - Run the (PRE-|POST-)INSTALL script

> The post-package-script (run only if WITH_PKGNG is defined):
>  - Amends the package so the arch label to 64bit

> ## Port scripts (in files/)

> The binbounce file does the following to transparently fix the environment to
> allow seamless running of the wine programs:
>  - determines the location of the TARGET (follows symbolic links to itself)
>  - fixes LD_LIBRARY_PATH if in an i386 environment (so lib32, lib32/wine is
> found)
>  - fixes LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH if in an amd64 environment (so lib32, lib32/wine,
> /usr/lib32)
>  - fixes PATH (so bin32 is found)
>  - passes execution to the counterpart in bin32

> The patch-nvidia.sh file does the following:
>  - Downloads the nVidia distfile for i386 (iff nVidia amd64 driver is
> installed)
>  - Installs the required libraries into ${PREFIX}/lib32
> [...]

It would be nice to have wine-fbsd64 as a port, but that might unfortunately
deprive the user of certain flexibility.

Also, nVidia support should be an option, since users with other graphics
cards might have no use for it.

I would really prefer to build the i386 FreeBSD system as a separate part, including kernel,
since some users, myself included, might want to run an actual FreeBSD i386,
especially on an older computer.  So one could build this FreeBSD i386 on a
USB stick or USB hard drive, and then be able to run wine on an i386 system.

Would wine-fbsd64 be a separate port, or would it be wine built on i386, as
the page http://wiki.freebsd.org/Wine suggests?  It would be nice to be able
to run Wine on i386 as well as amd64.

Tom