Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:23:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Carlos Smith <carloss2@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD crashes... Help?

On Wed, 28 Feb 1996, Carlos Smith wrote:

> >> I've installed it several times with the same result...it crashes
> >> every time I run X WIndows and leave just a screensaver on. It
> freezes
> >> everytime and the only way to recover it is by turning it off and on
> >> again.
> >Which screensaver?
> It was xsnow I think, but it happenned with other applications also.

haveyou tried it NOT running xsnow?  I've had problems with it in the past.

> >Take a look at /var/log/messages and see if something happened to the
> >program or the X server.
>
> I took a look at the messages, but it does not show anything abnormal,
> I'm lost, besides today I'm trying to login, I put my name  and
> password and I get a message saying "login: /usr/local/bin/bash: Not a
> directory"
> What's going on??? Can you help? The system does not let me in unless I
> login as root... What do I do to get it back???

What did you do?  Looks likeyou lost your shel.  Login as root and do
"vipw", and edit your user entry to piont to a different shell, like
/bin/csh.  Then find out where bash went.

Looks like some disk damage...

> >> Also after installing, the machine does not "see" the cdrom. What is
> >> the right way to make the system "find" the cdrom again?
> >
> >That depends on what kind of CDROM you have.
>
> I have a Mitsumi CDROM IDE. I installed FreeBSD from it, but after
> installation ... nothing...!!

You need to recompile the kernel with the ATAPI options.  Look in LINT
for the proper lines to add to your kernel config.

Internet:  dwhite@gladstone.uoregon.edu | Residence Networking Assistant