Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:10:23 +1000
From:      Robbak <robbak@comnorth.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Developing an ip accounting program.

OK. I've drawn a blank.

I previoulsy mentioned that I would do this from firewall logs. that was before
I determined that they do not log packet size.

What I need to do is provide to users a .html page listing the data throughput
(to/from) the machines on the local subnet. I envisage a routine providing a
stream of data (similar to the ipfw logging) that the procedure could parse and
summarise by ip, and a script/program in cgi to extract the info and create the
page.

I beleive  could accomplish the later steps, if I could get some help on the
data input. The BPF routines look capable, but are beyond my comprehension.

The nearest I have seen is the ipcad program. It sems to have much of the info I
need. If someone has an annotated version of the code for it, or a similar
prog., it would be a great help

Thanks,
Robert Backhaus
(wannabe C hacker)

--
The opinions Expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of the author.

Robert Backhaus
Robbak@comnorth.com.au