Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:42:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mozilla Java (was Re: Mozilla+flash player)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Warren Block wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Dru wrote:
>
> > I've had no problems with a combo of flashplugin-mozilla-0.4.10_1
> > and mozilla-1.0_1,1. on both FreeBSD 4.6 and FreeBSD 4.6.1. I simply built
> > Mozilla from the port, then built the flashplugin from the port and like magic
> > it worked. Now the java plug-in, that was _another_ (as yet unresolved) story!
>
> Oddly enough, Java is the one thing that's always worked for me in the
> native Mozilla.  All I can recall doing is installing both Mozilla and
> then jdk13.  Although we may be using different methods to determine if
> it works--I just try the little Java games at Yahoo.  Some work, some do
> not.  Diamond Mine and Bounce Out work, so they at least indicate a
> mostly-functional JVM.

Weird. I have mozilla-1.0_1,1 and jdk-1.3.1p7.

I've done the "ln -s /usr/local/jdk1.3.1/jre/plugin/i386/ns600/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/mozilla/plugins/"

No Diamond Mine for me, just the irritating popup to install the java
plugin (which doesn't work). About plugins shows flash nicely, nada on the
java.

You didn't perchance hava java working in Netscape first? I tried to
install the latest netscape but it was forbidden. I decided to live
dangerously and go for it, but it failed with gtk errors. Ditto on the
linux-mozilla port.

Dru