Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 15:56:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, sos@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

> > We *should* assume that Joe out on the Net has  X capable HW .

Just to be clear, Joe out on the Net (i.e. me  :-)  ) has monochrome capable
graphics on one machine, CGA on two others, and VGA on most everything else.

Oh, wait.  Exec-PC has mono graphics on daily-planet.execpc.com too.  That
way they can leave a monitor on it all the time and burn in the systat
display (they seem to have a surplus of mono monitors).

> > If we have problems with *supported* X hardware then we should addressed
> > them and not say that we should not be emphasizing  X capable apps.
>
> Sigh.
>
> I find the image of two separate arguments at a party where too much
> alcohol has been consumed coming to mind here.
>
> Amancio is in one corner, arguing violently with a potted plant about
> apps and how we should be writing them.  The plant, as far as can be
> seen, is in complete agreement.
>
> Everyone else is in another other corner arguing about relying on X
> for critical-path applications, like the install.  There's no
> unanimous agreement, but the general concensus seems to be "Oh, no, of
> course not X for an install!  But SVGA / curses on the other hand!
> [much waving of hands and shouting about methods]"

It might be fine to have an install that worked either way....

I'm told that there are toolkits available that can help do this sort of
stuff, but it's not clear that they are shareware....  maybe rewriting the
current dialog library to work either way is the answer  :-)

... Joe