Date:      19 Jan 1997 17:24:25 -0500
From:      Jay Sachs <sachs@interactive.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   moved hd from 2 to 0; /etc/fstab & partition names

I was running FreeBSD off of my third IDE hd, i.e. wd2. /etc/fstab
looked like this:

/dev/wd2s2b			none		swap	sw 0 0
/dev/wd2a			/		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd2s2f			/usr		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd2s2e			/var		ufs	rw 1 1
proc				/proc		procfs	rw 0 0

hd 1 died, so I switched stuff around so that the FreeBSD disk is now
disk 0. I knew I'd have to adjust /etc/fstab after that. So I booted
up w/ the fixit disk, and adjust fstab to look like this:

/dev/wd0s2b			none		swap	sw 0 0
/dev/wd0a			/		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd0s2f			/usr		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd0s2e			/var		ufs	rw 1 1
proc				/proc		procfs	rw 0 0

Well, turns out there's no devices named wd0s2b, wd0s2f, wd0s2e. Not
sure what to do, and noticing there were devices wd0b, wd0e, wd0f, I
switched fstab to be:

/dev/wd0b			none		swap	sw - -
/dev/wd0a			/		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd0f			/usr		ufs	rw 1 1
/dev/wd0e			/var		ufs	rw 1 1
proc				/proc		procfs	rw 0 0

Things seem to be working fine.

I just wonder if I'm asking for trouble in the future (if so, what do
I do to get the partition names in /dev?), or if having different
names matters at all. If it makes any difference, there is a DOS FAT
partition in front of the UFS partition.

-jay