Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 12:17:42 -0400
From:      Rainer Enders <rainer@erilab.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        Rainer Enders <Rainer.Enders@erilab.com>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which RAID controllers?

--------------94E6CB0B7EDCAB97B79564BC

Hello,

what are the current choices for RAID controllers?
Are there any of the new boards supported in the 4.0 Release?
I checked in the Release Notes and it doesn't seem so.
It's strange that a good Server Operating System does not
have good support for the newer RAID hardware.
On the DPT website it says for the FreeBSD driver
"Coming Soon" whatever that means.

Which one would be the best choice of RAID controller
for FreeBSD today? When will SmartRAID V and VI
supported?

Regards,
Rainer.

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> Rainer Enders wrote...
> > Which RAID Controllers work best with
> > FreeBSD 2.2.7/2.2.8?
> >
> > Any different answer for 3.0?
>
> For 2.2.7/2.2.8, or 3.0, your choices are:
>
> - DPT, if you want an internal RAID controller
> - Any external SCSI-SCSI RAID controller.
>
> > I would like to use either Mylex or DPT if at
> > all possible.
>
> DPT cards are supported.  The Mylex internal RAID controllers are
> not supported, but their SCSI-SCSI controllers should work fine with a
> supported SCSI controller.
>
> Ken
> --
> Kenneth Merry