Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 19:52:23 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: JKH Project: x86: pcb_ext

Peter Wemm wrote:

> John Baldwin wrote:
> >
> > On 19-Sep-01 Peter Wemm wrote:
> > > The more I think about it, the right place may be the kse, since that
> > > outlives
> > > the threads and is per-cpu unlike the process.
> > >
> > > Or, we just say "no pcb extensions for kse processes".
> >
> > Each thread would need its own TSS, and to preserve existing semantics, we
> > would have to change the TSS of all threads for each TSS related syscall.  In
> > light of that, I vote in favor of "no TSS's for kse processes" since TSS's ar
> > used for very few things anyways.  LDT's are another matter and can be moved
> > w/o a problem.
>
> The main two things we seem to use the per-process TSS stuff for are:
>   Fine grained IO port permission bitmap
>   VM86 mode
> I think we can well do without the complexity of mixing KSE with those two.

<DEVIL'S ADVOCATE>
I could IMAGINE a vm86 version that ran the control/exception
thread on another processor as a different thread. (though who would write it?)
I could also imagine a muli-threaded program doing IO to a device as a userland
driver.
</DEVIL's ADVOCATE>
but of course hey'd need to be writen explicitly for it..

> We still would need to sync LDT reloads..

that's more of a worry for me.
Do we still have separate a LDT for threads?