Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 02:43:07 -0600
From:      James <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar i/o errors

Mark Tinguely wrote:

> I have seen what you describe a few times and there are two main causes.
>
> does it appear that you are keeping the tape streaming? is your machine
> (or network if doing a remote tar) overly busy? for an experiment renice
> your shell to -20 (ie, "renice -20 $$" for [ba]sh), also kill big memory/
> process hogs like netscape before doing the backup.
>
> If this does not stop the error, the other possibility is that there may
> be something wrong with the drive.
>
> --mark.

I run the process in the background with an ampersand & as an argument.  I
generally run the process very late at night and the cpu is typically
averaging at least 85-90% idle so I don't know if that is the problem.  I'm
running this on a server and I don't even have X installed - the system is
mainly runing web and sendmail apps.  Any ideas?