Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 17:58:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mike" <root@unixhideout.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Allowing controlled relay with sendmail.

I know there's a way to do this. I just found it on google. I run
everything myself. (which is why things dont break, and when they do i
only blame myself.)  Wouldnt have it any other way. Im going to setup smtp
auth. If you only store their email, and dont allow them to send email
thru your server, your not a mail server in my eyes. Your a storage bin. I
dont know, why setup half a mail server? Kinda takes the fun away no? Not
to mention i have to explain to a few thousand people to set their clients
up that way? What about the ones that are on crappy isps that dont let
them use mail which is why they come to me in the first place. I might be
wrong but i find it absurd to go through all the trouble of setting up
mail and not letting them send email. You dont have a static ip but i do,
and 4 domains to boot. hehe, I appreciate your advice but i have found
other methods. And i dont understand this:

 "I do believe you will be fighting a losing battle against spam if you
allow you SMTP server to accept connections from users who don't have
fixed IP addresses themselves."

Thats why i asked for allowing "controlled" relay with sendmail. How is
that a spam security issue? smtp_auth will require a user and password
before they send. Am i missing something?

--

The unixhideout network
http://www.unixhideout.com