Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:23:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Peter da Silva <peter@taronga.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

Yes, if we are going to a many-scripts each performing one task paradigm,
PLEASE do not place the scripts in more than one directory.
flip-flopping around from place to place to figure out the boot sequence
on ssyv machines drives me crazy....

On Fri, 22 Sep 1995, Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <199509221101.RAA24680@hq.icb.chel.su>,
> Serge A. Babkin <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su> wrote:
> >Or make 'start' and 'stop' scripts really different files without any links.
>
> Please, no. Link 'em or symlink 'em. Digital Unix screwed up by putting them
> in /sbin, but they did this right:
>
> 	/sbin/init.d	all scripts
> 	/sbin/rc*.d	symlinks to init.d/...
>
> That gives you one place for finding all the service start/stop stuff (init.d),
> and you don't go editing rc3.d/S00frog and forget to update rc2.d/K85frog.
>
> The init.d directory becomes the one stop shop like /etc/rc[.local], and the
> rc*.d becomes your toggles like the YES/NO stuff in /etc/sysconfig, and it
> becomes easier to productise ports and packages that need to start up daemons.

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346