Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:02:40 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        kaworu <kaworu@sektor7.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kernel open(2) (was: Questions about kernel space functions)

On Friday,  9 March 2001 at 19:37:45 -0500, kaworu wrote:

> Perhaps this is not the right place to post this, if so, I apoligize.

This is the correct place.  -questions is not.

> But, I have a dilema. Is there any documentation I can find which
> gives the arguments for all kernel space functions? I'm trying to
> find a function similar to open(). I'm a newbie at kernel
> programming. :-)

Others have pointed you to section 9 of the manual.  If you've looked
there, you'll probably be even more confused than before.  The real
answer you're looking for is that there is no function similar to
open() (or the other I/O functions, for that matter).  The closest
you'd get would be VOP_OPEN(9), but the parameters are very different
from userland open(2).  You'd be better off reading the Design and
Implementation, or just plain doing it in userland.

Greg