Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:28:45 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WPA Access Point

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>From: Neal Nelson <nealie@kobudo.homeunix.net>
>>Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:36:12 +0100
>>Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

>>>The above error is likely because you don't have wlan_ccmp
>>>loaded/configured.  However
>>>
>>>ifconfig wi0 list caps
>>>
>>>should indicate the driver lacks support for WPA1/WPA2.  Guess it
>>>would be good for hostpad to check that.
>>>
>>>	Sam
>>
>>You are quite right on both counts. I built a new kernel with some
>>extra wlan_ options and hostapd runs without complaint now. Of course
>>it still doesn't work as my wi interface doesn't have the WPA
>>capability.
>>
>>On the plus side I've finally managed to configure my system to talk to
>>my Mac with WEP. OK it's not ideal but it's a start and I was unable to
>>get them to talk when I tried it first some time ago.
>>
>>Do you have any idea whether WPA will be added to the wi driver or
>>should I look for another interface card if I want to use this?
>

> To the best of my knowledge there is no firmware for the Prism2.5 that
> supports WPA and, without that, I don't think that the driver is going
> to help.

Sure there is.  I believe any rev 1.6.3 or later will do what's needed.
  Mostly thhis is enable sending host-specific information elements in
the management frames and support sending host-encrypted data frames.

> I would love to see if_wi updated to better work with the FreeBSD wlan
> architecture, but I know that I don't have the time to do it and I would not
> hold my breath as this chip is getting very long of tooth and probably
> has not shipped in new hardware for at least two years. I still use it
> because my laptop has one built-in. I'm due for a new laptop in about a
> year and I imagine that I will never deal with anything using if_wi
> after that.

Given the cost of cards these days it's easier to just buy a new one.
But maybe someone with a vested interest will do the work.  I'd like to
see it happen and would help but don't have the time to do the work myself.

	Sam