Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 20:43:32 -0500
From:      malcolm newton <mnewton@io.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP -auto and -direct

I have  a web server attached via ISDN line to an ISP which I need to
 keep up permanently.(or as close as possible) I am using /etc/ppp and
 i works fine until the line drops. I am thinking of doing
 something like
 -auto
 timeout set to 300 (timeout for what)

 then background ping to  isp to ensure connection
 If the line is up does ppp try to dial on outgoing packets??
 if the line is down will ppp dial ??
 Does timeout mean redial after n secs of no packets ?
 whats a good blend to ensure line is up most of the time??

 any one tried this ??