Date:      Sat, 15 May 1999 12:26:38 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Matt Curtin <cmcurtin@interhack.net>, Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD, GPL, the world today.

On Fri, 14 May 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> > Dennis> All software has bugs
> >
> > TeX has no bugs.
>
> TeX has no *known* bugs.  To the best of my knowlege, even Dr. Knuth
> has not yet been able to *prove* it is correct.
>
> > But it's the exception, not the rule.
>
> It certainly is, but perhaps it shouldn't be.
>
> I've worked on a few carefully verified systems, and they are quite
> expensived to create.  They're the kind of systems that you hope
> would be carefully checked, though, since they involve flinging
> nuclear bombs at people.
>
> Anyone want to pony up a few dozen million dollars to do an NSCCA
> on FreeBSD?

Would somebody use such a version even if somebody did come up with the
money? After all the months spent at verifing the correctness of FreeBSD,
they would wake up in the world where FreeBSD has meanwhile moved on by
some version numbers and has tons of new features everybody wants.

IMHO we have some years till we have enough stability that such a thing
would be even a sensible thing to do (as in - there are enough people who
will want to run it and parts can be merged back).

> --
>        "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>
> Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
> http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.