Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 20:41:16 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFR] OpenBSD install(1) fixes: atomic install, etc.

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 08:03:20PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:41:36PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Konstantin Chuguev wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > Just curious: why not make this way of doing install default (i.e. always use
> > > it)?
> >
> > It may effectively doubles disk space requirements during copy (when destination
> > file is not on a sofdep-enabled partition and is not open at the moment when
> > install(8) unlinks it). For small files it doesn't matter, but for a big ones it
> > could lead to a problem.
> >
> I think -S should be made the default for `installworld' (this was the main
> reason that triggered this work).  But I don't think this should be turned
> `on' by default in install(1).
>
> BTW, this binary just completed the `installworld' test on -STABLE.

Just tried -j32 installworld with modified install(1) binary for which
-S is the default, and it still choked on lib/libncurses.  The problem
is in bsd.man.mk: we should separate installing of manpages and their
MLINKS, otherwise links could be attempted before their originals are
installed.

Continuing with -DNOMAN now...

Cheers,
--