Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 17:18:59 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@btsslc.com>
To:        Phillip White <philw@megasoft.tic.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   wtmp/ac manipulation

Phillip White writes:
 > Is there a software developed that formats the wtmp file so you can dump
 > the total hours logged for a peticular user to the user at any time, say
 > upon logging out and maybe to further this and say you have 20 hours
 > logged with 30 remaining.  This type of data would be nice.  I've had
 > users wonder how many hours they have logged and what what left. Would be
 > nice to output it to the screen for them.

Accounting does this after a limited fashion.  A trip through the man
pages, or a book on system administration, should give you some idea
of what accounting offers.

 > Also, furthering from this,
 > has there been something developed that would shut the user down ie.
 > change thier passwd, so they can't login after so many hours?  How about
 > a kicker that would kick them after being on for a set amount of hours?
 > (To free up the modem pool).  One last thing.  How about logging in more
 > than once.  Can I set something up that doesn't allow set users to login
 > more than once?

I've worked on some commerical software like this, but I don't know of
any freeware that does this.  I can give you some suggestions and
pointers if you want to work on this, or I'm available for really
reasonable rates.  ;^)

 > I'm sorry for bombarding one mail with so many questions but I thought it
 > better than to send separate mail for each.  Thanks for any and all help:-)

Asking all at once is better, IMHO.  It might help to separate the
questions a little better.  ;^)

 > P.S.  I was also looking for an idle kicker but I think the "after so
 > many hours" would do it.:-)

Done one of those commercially, too.  It was a really cool program
until I left and the management bozos neutered it.  A process called
Twes sat around and killed off users when they had done something
untoward, like walk away from their terminal or workstation, or try to
work later than management thought they should.  ;^)

P.S.  Sorry 'bout the preceding bogus message, I fat-fingered my
mailer.

--

                        I'd rather be sailing.

Wes Peters                      BTS SLC                          wes@btsslc.com