Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 2004 15:50:43 -0400
From:      Brandon Niemczyk <maccorin@cfl.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS question in regards to /etc/resolv.conf

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:37:55PM -0500, Gary wrote:
> Hi there Brandon,
>=20
> I lost Bill's original message, so if you don't mind, I will tag this
> response on to yours <g>
>=20
> Monday, April 26, 2004, 2:24:38 PM, you wrote:
>=20
> >> Will you need to host your own DNS _server_?  If so, then the answer is
> >> much more complicated.
> B> if he's using dynamic dns, i'm assuming he has a dynamic IP.  In which
> B> case it would be a bit difficult to have his own dns.
>=20
> B> I suppose he _could_ have dnsdns/godaddy point to his dns server, and
> B> then have that resolve his ip... but that's kind of pointless.
>=20
>  There is one other very important piece of info needed, that Bill needs
>  to get, before all of this. He has to make sure Verizon does not block
>  ports 25, 80, and 53, so he can use a mail/web/DNS server to begin with.
very true, I've had a couple ISPs that did that before strangly though
all of them forgot to block port 443, and encryption rocks anyways :P

Another trick I've learned w/ my current ISP is they check you for
servers every so often, a simple way to get around that is to just block
their admins ipaddress pool w/ your firewall.

If this is getting to OT I apologize.  I'm just outlining a few of the
pitfalls and solutions I've found w/ running a server from home.

--=20
Brandon Niemczyk			Public PGP Key ID: CAB3D8D6=20
					hkp://subkeys.pgp.net

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--