Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:16:03 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mambo -- install dir

+----[ Vizion <vizion@vizion.occoxmail.com> (13.Oct.2005 17:28):

| OK where is PREFIX set originally -- is it a global or local variable?

bsd.port.mk which is included by all ports Makefiles and should be in
/usr/ports/Mk

| are you saying the command should be
| make install CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --prefix=/foo/bar/server1

I might be wrong, but I would say no here. You have to set
CONFIGURE_ARGS within the Makefile. You can set
CONFIGURE_ARGS on the command line, as you proposed but I
don't know if you can assign another argument using '+='
this is Makefile syntax, not shell syntax.

So, summarizing I believe that you can set CONFIGURE_ARGS
absolutely, as you can any shell variable. But then you
loose whatever was set by the ports system (bsd.port.mk and
friends).

If you want to preserve other arguments, then I believe you
have to do it from the Makefile.

Anyone: please do correct me and/or add to what I've said.

Finally, let me remind you of this thread
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2005-October/026228.html
where I described the problems I've found when trying to
change PREFIX (using configure).

the problem is still there (setting PREFIX using
CONFIGURE_ARGS would get overidden). I've patched
bsd.port.mk locally to add a GNU_CONFIGURE_PREFIX as used in
NetBSD and it works, but have still to polish some edges
(pkg-plist and deinstallation issues).

|  -- I do wish this accumulated wisdom was in a file (port_mods.readme or
| something!!)

+----]

It is documented in the Porter's Handbook. And if it's not,
or if the information in the handbook is confusing, don't
hesitate to write/fix/suggest in the doc@ mailing list.

Fernan