Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:29:26 -0400
From:      "Dieter BSD" <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   (no subject)

user.vdr writes:
>>> Recording doesn't require any compression unless you are transcoding
>>> in real-time. There's no difference between recording ATSC, NTSC, PAL,
>>> etc, and it's actually irrelevant what the stream is.
>>
>> This is incorrect. ATSC is compressed before broadcast, so
>> you receive the data already compresed.  NTSC and PAL are
>> broadcast in analog. The tuner performs A-to-D which gives
>> an uncompressed data stream.  Have fun trying to store that.
>> As a practical matter, you have to compress the data in real time.
>> Some, not all, tuners include hardware compression.
>
> With very very very few exceptions, all analog NTSC broadcasts have
> been switched to digital, by the FCC mandated deadline of June 12,
> 2009.

As long as there remain some NTSC broadcasts, there might be some
that you wish to watch.  That's why I wrote:

> [...]

Aryeh may or may not have any NTSC stations of interest. Given
"we are using a broadcast signal only [current US {NYC} standards]"
I rather doubt that Aryeh has any PAL stations to worry about.

> You absolutely do NOT have to reencode a stream

I did not say anything about RE-encoding anything.  Only about
encoding/compressing the high bandwidth datastream the tuner
generates from NTSC.  And to be clear, this only applies to
NTSC, not to ATSC.

http://corona.homeunix.net/cx88wiki/Overview/RawVideo