Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2019 10:24:33 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>, David Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: openssl 1.1.1 utils mkerr.pl

On January 16, 2019 9:52:26 AM PST, Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail=2Ecom> w=
rote:

>> On Jan 15, 2019, at 5:55 PM, David Cornejo <dave@dogwood=2Ecom> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I am working on some code that wants to use mkerr=2Epl from the openssl
>> distribution - but this appears to have been left out of the import
>> base=2E
>>=20
>> Is there an alternative method to create the include files produced
>> from this script in FreeBSD?
>

>Hi Dave,
>
>I would go a different route from what was mentioned by others =E2=80=94 =
>would actually either grab mkerr=2Epl from upstream from the release
>package (upstream on GitHub is
>https://github=2Ecom/openssl/openssl/releases ) (sidenote: I don=E2=80=99=
t know
>why, but our vendor-crypto tree lacks this script as well; jkim@ CCed)=2E
>Why go this route? You can easily grab the file using a tool like curl,
>fetch, or wget from GitHub, and you can be sure that the version you=E2=
=80=99re
>grabbing is the upstream release version=2E The only downside of this
>route is that you might have to apply local patches in order to fix
>bugs with the script itself (which the port would handle), and you=E2=80=
=99ll
>have to grab all dependencies (in this case/version: configdata=2Epm,
>which is generated from the release)=2E Example:
>
>fetch -o mkerr=2Epl
>https://raw=2Egithubusercontent=2Ecom/openssl/openssl/d1c28d791a7391a8dc1=
01713cd8646df96491d03/util/mkerr=2Epl

>I think that these files should be committed in the vendor-crypto tree,
>along with crypto/openssl ; although FreeBSD as a project doesn=E2=80=99t=
 have
>much value for these files, other repackagers do have value for these
>files (Isilon had to recompile openssl to deal with some modifications
>to the library for FIPS compliance)=2E
>
>Why am I not recommending the port outright? Depending on which version
>of openssl you=E2=80=99re based on, you might need to maintain a
>Frankensteinian version of the port to deal with the current (or old)
>ports framework, which can be=E2=80=A6 noisome (speaking from experience =
having
>dealt with this at Isilon with a 3 year old port system in the past)=2E
>Plus, some of the config might differ (=E2=80=94prefix, etc), causing the
>version you=E2=80=99re configuring to differ from the base system version=
=2E

>Alternatively, you could just bypass openssl in base and patch a copy
>from ports and be done with it=2E
>
>Cheers,
>-Enji

The file is likely used in the generation of an error table prior to the u=
pstream packaging the tarball=2E We as consumers of the software don't need=
 though=2E

Possible options might be that the OP maintain the file himself or develop=
 a port which installs just this file=2E I don't recommend the second optio=
n=2E

Why this specific file? There are other apps that perform the same functio=
n, like compile_et that is distributed with MIT KRB5 and Heimdal, and insta=
lled=2E

--=20
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use=2E
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy=2ESchubert@cschubert=2Ecom>
FreeBSD UNIX: <cy@FreeBSD=2Eorg> Web: http://www=2EFreeBSD=2Eorg

	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few=2E