Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:20:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen  <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Tweaking FreeBSD (2.1) and sendmail for a busy site? Or maybe, Help! ,  No more sendmail's.

I have a P5-120 for a mail/radius server, and it's starting to show a
little stress.  THe la stays around 0.1 or so, but when I get a lot of
incoming mail, then when 14 sendmail's are hanging around, it stops
accepting more.

Telnet to the smtp port never connect.  As soon as one of the 14 drops
off, then I can connect.

I thought maybe it was the listen parameter, but the default is something
like 128.

maxusers is set to 128, and there's plenty of RAM and swap.

Any good ideas?  I looked at cf/README for sendmail, and didn't see an
obvious parameter in there that limited the number of sendmail processes,
other than la related stuff, which isn't an issue on this box.

What else should I check?

There are no errors in any log, nothing from the accepting sendmail about
unable to fork or any of that stuff.

The sendmail is 8.6.12 + patches soon to be upgraded to 8.7.x

The box is running a -stable from approx. November.

Any ideas appreciated.