Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2022 01:58:02 +0000
From:      Teran McKinney <sega01@go-beyond.org>
To:        Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding support for py-package w/ setup.cfg but w/o setup.py

On 2022-01-04 19-46-33    , Yoshihiro Ota wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently create a new PyPI tool for FreeBSD.
> Based on PyPI's instruction, I have setup.cfg only without setup.py.
> https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/tutorials/packaging-projects/ suggests go with setup.cfg only for simplicity.
>
> I'm now trying to make a port for it.
> However, FreeBSD ports expects a setup.py file.
>
> It looks if we can run "from setuptools import setup; setup()" in Mk/Uses/python.mk if PYSETUP file doesn't exit.
>
> I'm wondering if some FreeBSD python port expert can consider no PYSETUP file configuration.
>
> Hiro

Hi Hiro,

For packages without a setup.py, in many cases there may be a
pyproject.toml with PEP-518 support. Some of these use setuptools
still, others may use Poetry, flit, etc.

For these, build should usually be used. python3.9 -m build, etc.

As far as how this plays out with ports, I'm not sure exactly, but
wanted to put my two cents out there.

-Teran