Date:      Sun, 05 Jan 2003 13:49:01 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Brett Glass" <brettglass@ml1.net>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, "Mike Jeays" <mj001@rogers.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

At 01:32 PM 1/5/2003, Brett Glass wrote:

>You can always implement a clean-room reverse engineered clone, no big
>deal.

It is a big deal -- in time, money, and especially documentation of
the clean room process.

>There's nothing Microsoft can do, except keep making subtle changes in
>the CIFS protocol to break compatibility. FIWI, Samba can kiss my ass. If
>your OS doesn't support NFS natively, it's not worth using.

Even though NFS implements "security" via the strict and rigorous
process of checking IP addresses (and we all know that IP addresses
can NEVER be spoofed). ;-)

Alas, in the real world, many people run Windows, which does not.
The attorneys at this firm are not computer experts, and want a
GUI with which they feel comfortable. That means Windows, or
(for a few of them) MacOS. (Some of the MacOS users are balking
at the MacOS X GUI, though, and are getting Dell machines running
Windows XP. Out of the frying pan....)

In any event, the minimum license fee to get Windows machines onto
NFS is $120 a pop. I recommended NFS (with heavy firewalling), but
the cost ruled it right out for this firm. It was either SAMBA or
something else that they could get at no cost.

>But because you're a professional programmer, like me, you can easily
>hack a BSD lincensed SMB server in less than 30 minutes.

If SAMBA were truly free, there'd be no need to do so.

--Brett Glass