Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 17:51:06 -0500
From:      mh <mheyes@concentric.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't build Evolution: Solved!

Joe Clarke wrote:

> I'm not sure why Evolution is wanting version 6 of libfreetype when you
> compile it in its absence.  The port has been modified to want
> libfreetype.so.8, so recompiling it should set all the links straight (if
> you remove the symlink).
>

> > Is there a "best way" here, or is it whatever works for you?
>
> I guess it's what works for you in this situation.  However, it still
> perplexes me as to why Evo won't link against version 8 if that's all
> there is.
>
> Joe

Finally got it! I removed the symlink, deleted the old evolution tar
balls, and did another portupgrade -r -f evolution. It works just fine,
and without the symlink. Not only that, but the Patriots won!

I also did my first make world upgrade, from 4.4 to 4.5. This went much
easier (go figure), but I noticed one step that was omitted from the
FBSD Handbook and filled out a problem report (after rebooting in
19.4.8, 19.4.9 says to run "make installworld" without first changing to
the /usr/src directory.

Thanks for your help.

mike
--