Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:55:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   UFS2 snapshots - comments requested

I just hung up a completely idle 6.0-RELEASE system by deleting a large
number of files on a snapshotted filesystem (it had seven snapshots
running on it).

I have never seen snapshots work reliably in FreeBSD.  I suspect that if
you are using snapshots and they seem reliable, it is because you aren't
doing much with them, or running enough of them.

Since the first of the year, I have submitted two PRs detailing erratic
behavior with snapshots:

kern/92272
kern/92292

and these PRs only represent the behavior that I could isolate and define
- I am regularly seeing system hangs resulting from any number of
seemingly innocuous activities.

My questions:

- is this instability (circa 6.0) acknowledged ?

- is there a large, known problem that, when fixed, will cause all of
these little problems to go away, or should I keep submitting PRs when I
verify misc. problems ?

- can any visibility be offered as to the possible future viability of
UFS2 snapshots in 6.0 ?

Many thanks.

-----
John Kozubik - john@kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com