Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 09:03:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Steve Leibel <stevel@coastside.net>
Subject:   Re: root filesystem full

> On Mon, 22 May 2000, Steve Leibel wrote:
>> My / just filled up, here's the output of df:
>>
>> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>> /dev/wd2s1a     39647    38551    -2075   106%    /
>> /dev/wd2s1f   7803734  3044533  4134903    42%    /usr
>> /dev/wd2s1e     19815     3008    15222    17%    /var
>> procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc
>>

>> What kind of things should I be looking to delete or change?  How
>> do
>> I resize it without having to repartition my disk or mess up the
>> rest
>> of my configuration?

You can't resize the partition. But you can make another partition on
you disk (possibly an extended one), formatted in UFS and mount it
somewhere in you tree.

Use 'du -x -d 1 /'  to see what is the largest directory. Disregard
the lines for /usr and /var as they are separate, as df showed above.

Perhaps /tmp has grown out of bounds? Which can be solved by
symlinking /tmp to /usr/tmp for example.

man du and man ln are very helpful.

My box says (for you to get a hang of the kind of sizes to expect)

lagrange# du -d 1 -x /
3321    /dev
1       /usr
1       /var
1922    /stand
562     /etc
2       /cdrom
1       /proc
3283    /bin
335     /boot
1       /lkm
50      /mnt
1746    /modules
2879    /root
8081    /sbin
1       /dist
1       /a
28177   /

Note that /tmp is not there as the '-x' was specified for du. And
/usr and /var are just mount points.

/Micke

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se