Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 14:07:57 +0300
From:      =?koi8-r?Q?=E2=C5=D2=A3=DA=CB=CF_=E9=D7=C1=CE?= <iberiozko@infodom.ru>
To:        'Pete French' <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>, "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Curious crash

Hello.

Are you using screensaver?

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete French [mailto:pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 6:58 PM
To: stable@freebsd.org
Subject: Curious crash

Has anybidy else seeen a BSD machine crash in such a way thart
the screen fills with vertical black and white stripes ? The machine
in question has nobody logged into it and is not running X, it is
being used as a gateway to a PPP connection though.

Normally I would put this down to flaky hardware and not bother
mentioning it here. But I have had this problem for a year
and a half now - and the crashes still occur *despite* having
replaced the whole machine. I have also moved house, so its
not the mains supply to the building (which was my other suspect). These
crashes were originally seen on a 3.3 system, and I am now
running 4.4 STABLE.

The only hardware the machines have in common is the modem and a couple
of external SCSI hard drives (properly terminated and running in a different
configuration on this machine to the original machine). The are also both
using the same *type* of graphic card (Matrox Millenium II) though not the
same physical ppart (and I have tried other cards)

The fact that the machine simply freezes, corrupting video memory as it
does so, is what concerns me the most. Has anybody seen anything similar
or have any suggestions ? I am wondering if it is rrelated to my PPP link,
but I am using user mode PPP sothat shouldnt cause sucha  dramitic crash
surely ?

The hardware is (preseumably) irrelevent, but for the sake of completeness:

Old machine: AMD K6-450, 64MB or RAM, Adaptec 2940 controller, two internal
1GB discs, 2 external 9GB discs. 3C509 ethernet. Matrox Millenium II
graphics card.

New machine: Compaq AP400 qorkstation, Pentium II 400 processor. 2x SMART
2SL cntrollers, intrenal pair of 4.2GB drives as RAID-0. Nothing on 2nd
controller (yet). Onboard symbios SCSI controller driving external hard
discs.
Onboard fxp0 ether to 100T hub. Second compaq fxp0 ether card with
nothing attached (yet).Compaq braded video card - appears to be Matrox
Millenium II.

The external modem is a Courier V.Everything (flashed from a 33.6k courier).
The drives are  a9GB Wide drive, chained to a 9GB narrow drive. Both fairely
old and in external enclosured. The wide-->narrow cable properly terminates
the high byte and the second drive has a terminator attached.

Any suggestions ?

-pcf.