Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:11:22 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cam panic... probably tag related

> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, John Hay wrote:
>
> > System is a dual 266MHz PII with Asus motherboard with Adaptec 7880 on
> > board and a Seagate ST34572N as drive 0 and a Conner CFP4207S as drive 2.
> > Everything is on the Seagate except /usr/obj which is symlinked to the
> > Conner. It is running a very up to date -current and using softupdates
> > on all partitions.
> >
> > The machine will panic sometimes during a "make world" especially with a
> > high -j value, but it panics in such a way that it does not leave a dump.
>
> I encounter similar problems, though not specifically through
> "make world" disk activity.
>
> > da1: <CONNER CFP4207S  4.28GB 1420> Fixed Direct Access SCSI2 device
>
> Mine is <CONNER CFP4207S  4.28GB 1524>, on an ASUS SC200 (ncr)
> controller.  System is 3.0-RELEASE plus a kernel from around
> Nov1.  Your patch seems to do the trick for my system well and
> should probably be committed.  I'm just curious how you arrived
> at 8 and 24 for the tags?

Well I just chose them after seeing that cam would report the "tagged
openings" for that drive down to 31, so I just chose it a little smaller.
I did get the problem again once and now I'm using 16 instead of 24 and
haven't had a problem again. I did 36 "make -j26 world"s in a loop with
max tags set to 16 and it seems to be ok. I have also done my usual stuff
and haven't had a problem after taking it down to 16.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za