Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 13:41:25 -0500
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with GNU_CONFIGURE

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 11:27:07AM -0700, Steve Kargl wrote:
# I'm trying to put together a port of the FSF gmp library.
# But, the bare bone Makefile blows up during the configure phase.
# Here's the Makefile content:
#
[snip]
#
# The problem is that the Makefile file is trying to feed
# i386-freebsd5.0 to the configure script.  This should not
# be done for this port.  Why?  Because, the configure script
# goes to some extremes to determine the specific processor
# type.  That is, it will identify if you have an i386, i486,
# i586, i686, k5, k6, k7, ev4, ev5, ev6, and a slew of others,
# so that *highly optimized* assembly can be used.  The script
# also checks for 3dnow, mmx, and other advance features.
#
# So, how does one get the configure script to run without the
# i386--freebsd5.0?

Well because CONFIGURE_ARGS is set with += and not ?= in bsd.port.mk
you can't just override it.  However if you want to resort to a
somewhat ugly hack then you can override ${CONFIGURE_SCRIPT}.  In the
Makefile you'd have something like this.

GNU_CONFIGURE=		yes
CONFIGURE_ARGS=		_myarch=${CONFIGURE_TARGET}
CONFIGURE_SCRIPT=	Myconfig

pre-configure:
	${CP} ${FILESDIR}/Myconfig ${WRKSRC}
	${CHMOD} +x ${WRKSRC}/Myconfig

And the replacement configure script would look something like this.

#!/bin/sh
args=`echo $* | sed -e"s/${_myarch}//"`
./configure $args

The only other way I can think would be to roll your do-configure
target in the Makefile.

HTH

-steve