Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2020 19:09:36 +0530
From:      Niteesh <gsnb.gn@gmail.com>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: OFWBUS: How does autoconfiguration work?

I am working on an operating systems project at my university, which
currently
uses lazy driver initialization i.e. that is the drivers initialize the
hardware only
during the first invocation, for example, the UART hardware is initialized
only during the first call to output_char.

Currently, we have multiple BSP's to support different variants even though
they are quite similar. For example, we have two BSPs to support BeagleBone
Black
and white. We are trying to avoid this by using device tree files. Our goal
is to parse the
DTB at boot time and call all the registered drivers to initialize the
hardware. By registered
drivers, I mean drivers which are statically linked to executable.

I am trying to add a system, which will parse the DTB files and initialize
them by calling
the appropriate drivers. I want a system similar to FreeBSD or Linux
a probe and attach method for device drivers. It doesn't have to be as
complex as FreeBSD
but a simple one will do.

If you have any other questions please let me know :)

Thanks,
Niteesh