Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 05:01:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disabling FTP (was Re: Why not sandbox BIND?)

Jeroen C. van Gelderen, at 11:29 on Mon, 22 Nov 1999, wrote:

> > As a relative newbie, having ftpd on by default makes perfect sense.
>
> Are you saying that you cannot manually enable ftpd if you need it?

Nope, you aren't going to be able to manually enable ftpd if you're a
newbie to unix.  You could, but how are you going to find out how?  A
newbie will think that ftpd is part of 'base unix', and expect it to be
functional when they install.

> Good for them, but it's not the newbies we primarily target methinks.

FreeBSD doesn't attempt to target newbies, but why make it difficult for
them to get a functional box?

> Exactly, so you can just *enable* ftpd while you are munging with the
> config. This renders the box insecure but at least you explicitly
> authorized the act of enabling.

You're making a real bold statement that just opening up ftpd leaves the
box wide open.  This is not a good assumption.  As one person stated
before, it is not the ftpd being up that renders a box insecure, but
the sending of cleartext passwords to it is the problem.  If you don't
send cleartext passwords to it, you're not at risk.

> Isn't muning configuration files the first thing you do when you
> install a FreeBSD box? It is for me.

That's great!  Me too!  So what's the problem with turning off what you
don't need then not turn off then?  I never found it a real pain to do so
(just fetch a pre-configured inetd.conf to do the job, and voila,
tightened system).

> So?  He's supposed to read the documentation or telnet to port 20/21
> or start with Linux first.

Which documentation?  There is so much out there that a newbie isn't going
to know where to look.  Sure, we've all been trained "read the README"
file before you install a particular application, but aren't things so
much nicer so you don't have to?  Good application design doesn't make a
new user learn the full system before he gets a chance to use it.

Actually, I think FreeBSD is an easier OS to use than Linux, but
that's another issue.  We're discussing FreeBSD here.  Let's not start
discussions like "well, FreeBSD isn't meant to do this, so we won't even
contemplate it."

> People expect UNIX to be secure, so this argument doesn't really
> hold, does it?

This may just be me, but I think people expect unix to be a powerhouse of
tools more than a secure box; heck, use DOS if you want network
security.  :)

> Hmm, makes me think: does Solaris ship with ftpd enabled by default?

Solaris ships with a _whole_ bunch of thing enabled by default.  A _lot_
more than FreeBSD.

I think it seems clear by now that people on both sides of the trenches of
this debate have hunkered in, and won't budge.  Linux distributors Red Hat
and Mandrake solved the issue by presenting the user an option at install
time similar to "do you want server/workstation/custom machine". I vote
that we do something similar; just present the user an option at install
time.  I don't think anyone has objections to this solution.

--
Frank Tobin		http://www.neverending.org/~ftobin/

"To learn what is good and what is to be valued,
those truths which cannot be shaken or changed."  Myst: The Book of Atrus