Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:55:23 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Off topic mostly SMTP question

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 11:00:03PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:

> > On Thu, Feb 17, 2000 at 11:24:41AM -0500, Steve Hovey wrote:
> >
> >> I know if you have a dial up that wants to use SMTP to gate their
> >> email, that if they have a static IP you can set it for ETRN to
> >> kick their spool.
> >>
> >> Is there any known kludge for supporting smtp for a dialup without
> >> a static IP?
> >
> > Yeap, sendmail calls it SMART_HOST, qmail calls it smtproutes, but
> > the general idea is to push the mail to your ISP's mail server and
> > let *it* handle the load :)
>
> ... and Exim calls it the domainlist router.

"I always keep learning" ((C) Socrates, 300- B.C)

> Anyway, I think you misunderstand. Steve wants to use SMTP to deliver
> mail *to* a dynamic IP dialup, if I'm reading his message right.

Ah well, then what Steve wants is probably fetchmail's multidrop mode.

Steve, you can get fetchmail from the ports, at mail/fetchmail.

The manual page of fetchmail can help you understand how multidrop mode
works, but it is also full of warnings against it's usage.

I haven't used it until now, but it's supposed to be an easy way to
setup fetchmail to grab the mail froma single {pop|imap|other} account
and push it through the local smtp daemon's queue to multiple local
users.

Another way of doing this is to get the entire mail box through pop/imap,
and then use procmail to split the mail from the single pop folder and
forward it to the local smtp daemon's queue to the proper local user.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr