Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:48:56 -0500
From:      "Rhian B.  Resnick" <rresnick@fit.edu>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sony PCG-R505DL success running 5.1-release

I'm new to posting to the lists but since I had a hard time finding
information on the Sony PCG-R505DL here what I did to get it working.

The following are for 5.1-release only. I know they have changed for
5.2-rc2 and I will update my website http://my.fit.edu/~rresnick/ when I
get 5.2 installed.

The following items get the computer running, smoothly except that X
crashes when you restart the X Server and corrupts the display. The only
solution I found is to restart the machine.

To get sound to work you need to run the following every time the
machine starts up.
pciconf -w -b pci0:31:0 0x61 9=20

You need to insert the following in /boot/loader.conf=20

# Sound Stuff=20
snd_pcm_load=3D"YES"=20
snd_driver_load=3D"YES"=20

# PCMCIA Stuff=20
hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=3D"1"=20

#DVD Stuff=20
hw.ata.atapi_dma=3D"1"=20
hw.ata.ata_dma=3D"1"=20

You need to insert the following in /etc/sysctr.conf=20

#For DVD and KDE Sound=20
kern.ipc.shmmax=3D67108864=20
kern.ipc.shmall=3D32768=20
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=3D4=20
hw.snd.maxautovchans=3D4

Rhian Resnick
Manager of Information Technology, Evans Library=20
Florida Institute of Technology