Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 16:21:58 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0, startx, and PAM problems

Since u/g 3.4-STABLE -> 4.0 I can't start X:

parish:/usr/marko{54}% startx
Mar  5 16:15:30 parish Xwrapper: unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/pam_unix.so)
Mar  5 16:15:30 parish Xwrapper: [dlerror: /usr/lib/libutil.so.3: Undefined symb
ol "freeaddrinfo"]
Mar  5 16:15:30 parish Xwrapper: adding faulty module: /usr/lib/pam_unix.so
Authentication failed - cannot start X server.
Perhaps you do not have console ownership?_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't conn
ect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
_X11TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 2
giving up.
xinit:  No such file or directory (errno 2):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
parish:/usr/marko{55}%

A message posted 25th Feb about the same problem got this reply:

	Basically, PAM was built without a crypt library linked
	in.  When new is built with PAM support, it tries to access
	crypt in PAM.  Then, it blows up.  Build without PAM, or
	cvsup latest sources for the patch.  It was mentioned in
	the mailing lists I think back in December?

but I cvsup'd the source at 10:00 GMT yesterday (4th March).

The other option in the poster gave was to re-build the world withou PAM support, but that seems rather excessive.

Does anuyone know of any other solution?

Thanks.

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000