Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 12:27:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netgraph performance

Thanks! :-)

The fact that it works in high speed applications is a pleasant side
effect of the fact that we tried REALLY HARD
to make if low-ish overhead, but
we really originally wrote it for T1 speed devices
(and lower). The main design goal was to try make it easy for people
to reconfigure it in ways we hadn't thought of
and to make new modules to extend it. (also to avoid having a special
control program for each new kind of node).

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0111291012500.5212-100000@InterJet.elischer.org=
>,
> Julian Elischer  <julian@elischer.org> wrote:
> > Netgraph is a prototyping tool, which has enough performance to be
> > useful in non-performance-critical applications. (such as all sync
> > interfaces).  It is not designed for gigabit interfaces etc.
>=20
> You are selling Netgraph way too short.  I've been using it
> intensively with gigabit interfaces, and it performs very, very well.
> For my application (which involves generating and responding to a
> whole bunch of network traffic) it has yielded a good 4-5 times better
> performance than any other alternative I've found.
>=20
> John
> --=20
>   John Polstra
>   John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington =
USA