Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:17:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Dale Woolridge <dale-list-freebsd-smp-2@woolridge.org>, "" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Over heating of the ABit BP6 motherboard

Moved to -chat...

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The problem was that it was a college, and in order to sync all the
> institutional clocks, it had an hourly voltage spike that would
> cause the polar electrolytics to blow, letting out all the "secret
> smoke".

Ah ha.  I always wondered how they kept those stupid clocks in sync
when they were just plugged into a normal mains outlet with no other
visible wiring.  I remember they would also let out an occasional
"buzz" when they were being syncronized.  The smart and competent
engineer would have put the clocks on their own power circuits, though
at the time those clocks and the syncronization system were first
designed, I doubt there was much in the way of "sensitive" equipment
that you could have plugged into the mains.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.